In Butler’s engrossing fifth mystery featuring Washington, D.C., lobbyist Karina Cardinal (after 2020’s Pharaoh’s Forgery), Karina has ended her romantic relationship with FBI cybercrimes division special agent Mike Finnegan, but she gets involved with him again after her apartment is raided by an FBI team searching for him. The lead agent, Gerald Newcomb, who has a warrant authorizing a search of Karina’s home, explains that Mike is suspected of stealing over $1 million. Karina later learns a man calling himself Mike Finnegan and matching her ex-boyfriend’s description opened a new account at Mike’s bank. That same day, $1.2 million was transferred into the account from the Cayman Islands, and the next day, when Mike called in sick, the man who opened the bank account withdrew that entire amount, a suspicious transaction flagged by the IRS. With Mike’s current whereabouts unknown and indications that Newcomb has an axe to grind against him, Karina determines to help her former lover. Butler keeps the plot barreling ahead. Fans of intelligent escapism will look forward to more.
- Publisher’s Weekly Review
- Affaire de Coeur Magazine Review
- Swindler’s Revenge Blog Tour
- Swindler’s Revenge Excerpt
- Find Me on Scream!
- This is a Robbery – Documentary on Netflix
- Women in History Month Series-Influential Authors
- Women in History Month – Influential Female Authors
- Women in History Month – Female Authors Who Influenced Me
- Female Authors Who Have Influenced Me – Women in History Month Series